Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ham on Rye, the end!

I have completed my novel Ham on Rye!!  I enjoy reading but because of my class, work and family schedule I rarely have the time so in a sense I am glad to have taken this class.  There were some disturbing points that would make you shake your head, but overall the book was a pretty good read.
I was a bit confused as to why there weren’t very many references to food but by the end of the novel I was well aware that this family is living through the great depression, poor and most of the children were ill-fed. I felt bad for Henry (the main character) when he was in high school he had terrible acne that blistered and oozed puss when they burst. GROSS, I know.  His acne had gotten so bad he had to leave school for a while to seek treatment. He had an 8:30 appointment with 40-50 people waiting, no guarantee to see a doctor and if you leave you lose your spot.  Here in Kalamazoo we have a dental clinic geared to the unemployed and low income families.  You have to be there by 7:30am and there is always a line that starts way before 7:30.  It’s a first come first serve basis and if you leave you lose your spot and have to come back the next day as well.  This part was interesting for me to read because the author is referring to his life back in the 1930’s and the poor is still being treated the same way today.
There was one statement that really stood out for me and it said “I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them”.  This is so true.  I know some wealthy people who ride pass Loaves and Fishes or the Salvation Army and haven’t even thought about giving to the poor or less fortunate.   Here I am, head just barely above water giving to these organizations.  I do it because I care and one day it could be me in need. We talked in class how restaurant workers are striking and asking for a pay increase of up to $15 per hour.  I was quick to say “they don’t deserve that much, flipping burgers requires no education and no skills”. But I wasn’t saying that when I made $9 buck trying to take care of a kid and pay rent.  So in other words, whether it’s our situation or not we should try to make a difference in the lives of others.

1 comment:

  1. This book was thought provoking, didn't you feel like the ending came really suddenly? I still don't have a sense of closure.

    ReplyDelete