Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Hunger Games

What an awesome book!  I totally agree with Stephen King when he states The Hunger Games is violent but jarring novel that generates constant suspense. I couldn’t stop reading it as I found myself laughing and even disappointed when Rue was killed during the games.  I have always turned the channel when I knew The Hunger Games was on television, but now I can’t wait to watch the movie after reading such a great book.
 I know the book is fictional based but there are some similarities throughout I could relate to the world in which we live.  Some people in society are better off than others. A person’s financial or social status can easily dictate whether a person will become homeless or go hungry similar to the tributes fighting in the games.  The tributes from district 12 are poor and dying from starvation where as the people from the Capitol seems to have all the wealth and plenty of food. The districts uneven distribution of food is no different from our uneven distribution of wealth. People in the U.S are deciding whether to pay bills or buy groceries and there are plenty of wealthy corporations that could fight or eliminate hunger but their main focus is their current interest and profits.
Another point that stuck out for me throughout the book is how some districts are better off than other districts and our communities are just the same. For instance some communities in Kalamazoo are considered to be poor and are usually the last to be economically development. When on the other hand, if you drive a bit further west there are several grocery stores and new developments being constructed as I write. So although the book is based on fiction there are some topics throughout that have some correlation to our society and our battles with hunger.

 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments regarding the parallels between the book and our society, so true! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the connections you made to modern day society and our city in particular. It's definitely a great book and no wonder so many people went crazy over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read this book before, however at the time I didn't have any reason to think deeply about what I was reading. Now as I re-read The Hunger Games, I realize that there is so much within the text that relates to the world we live in now!

    ReplyDelete