Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ham on Rye pages 50-100

I will start by saying I’m a tad late posting my blog this week but a little late is always better than never.  I was a bit confused as to why there weren’t any references to food in these 50 pages compared the first 50 pages.  Matt who is also reading Ham on Rye brought up a really good point that this section of the book is probably taking place during the great depression which led to vast food shortages, and I think he is spot on with that assumption. 

I believe the author’s way of conveying his message is very direct, explicit and at times too detailed. The events he wishes to expose that has taken place throughout his life is almost disturbing at times. The fact that a child could be beaten for not cutting the grass correctly is horrible.  His father would get down on his hands and knees to look for hairs (grass) left behind.  Then when he found them he would beat the kid and his mother was ok by it.  I have a son old enough to cut grass and I would never hit him because he didn’t cut the grass my way.  And secondly I am not getting down on my hands and knees to check for anything!!   He also beat his wife which is insane.  He had an affair and when the woman showed up at their house she stole his car.  He then went back inside and beat his wife with his child in the other room. Very disturbing.  Another part of the book that’s a bit too detailed for me is the fact he keeps referring to women’s private parts and what he wants to do J.  I guess it bothers me because him and his friend are only in the fourth and fifth grade and they should be focusing on grammar and math equations.  How and why would they be thinking of such things?  I guess some good did come out of reading this portion of the book because it prompted a sex talk between me and my son who is in the eighth grade.

1 comment:

  1. By what I've read in history classes, the Great Depression was probably the worst time in history to grow up. My grandfather can tell me what it was like, but thankfully, him and his family were able to make it by... For some reason, your description of the book reminds me of the Hunger Games...

    ReplyDelete