Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saffron's

Dr. Allen has taken me out of my comfort zone this semester. He has made me publish blogs for the first time, I visited the food co-op that I’ve rode pass a million times and my latest adventure was visiting Saffron’s.  Friday afternoon I had an enjoyable experience sampling Indian food with Kate and Jordan.  We had the opportunity to talk to the waiter, Abhi, and he was delighted to tell us about the owner and some of his countries cooking traditions. The owner came to the United States and worked with his brother in Boston which is where he learned about cooking. He moved to Michigan and opened Saffron’s which has been in business for over 10 years.  The spices are imported from India and at least 30 are incorporated into each dish. What I found most interesting is the way the animals are slaughtered which is by slicing the throat. Killing the chickens this way has some religious implications and is considered to be more humane.
O.K, so you probably want to know how was the food?  It was so-so. It wasn’t nasty but I can guarantee you it was my first and last visit. It’s just not my style of food.  I tried almost everything on the buffet and the one thing I didn’t try was made with spinach, YUCK! I found 4 items I really liked which was the Naan bread, Tandoori chicken, Saffron’s sensational salad and the Badami Kheer.  The Naan bread reminded me of pita bread that had been cooked over an open flame. It had kind of a char tasting, but it wasn’t burned.  The sensational salad was spectacular. You would never believe that cantaloupe, raw onions, celery, grapes and a shit load of other fruits and vegetable would be good together. It was awesome! The chicken was a little dry but tolerable and the Badami Kheer is an almond rice pudding with raisin and nuts. 

Now I can say I’ve tried Indian food but I can’t say that it’s something I would be willing to pay for again. This location has about 10 options to choose from so Indian food has to be something you really enjoy. The lack of option was my biggest disappointment but overall the waiters were excellent and the environment was welcoming.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm that salad sounds yummy!! I want to check out Saffrons but I also dislike having multiple options, especially when most of the food is unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there too. I completely agree about the food, except I only liked the Na'an and the salad. It was just a little too much, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how were in Kalamazoo but haven't been to a variety of diverse restaurants within the community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saffrons was so good! I was surprised of how good it was! One of my favorites was the salad also I enjoyed the curry chicken. The waiter was very helpful with providing us with information

    ReplyDelete